HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mailman/UPS troubles?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Questdriven
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Mon May 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Why do you think most dogs seem to absoultely hate UPS/mailmen? scratch Suspect
Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Mon May 12, 2008 9:07 pm

I think they don't like strangers coming to the house. Mine charge the door and bark ferociously through the door at the mail man (yeah, yeah ... the classic, aggravating out-of-control dogs), but they also don't like it when one of those door-hanger delivery folks comes up and hangs something on the screen, and they generally act like Jack-the-Ripper was coming through the steel door when anyone at all approaches the front door. When we're expecting a visitor, we put the little ones up in their respective "dens," a.k.a. their beloved crates, and then we open the inner front door and let Cruiser watch out the glass security door. We keep an eye out so we can zip down to the door at the appropriate moment. Then he doesn't behave like he's saving us from certain destruction ... just curious.

I don't think it's just the USPS ... or UPS ... or kids selling candy for the band trip. I think it's anyone at all that excites them.

I'm sure I could make them stop if I were home enough, but I'm not. I've tried practicing ringing the door bell (and ringing the door bell and knocking on the front door and having friends do it randomly), but they continue to think it is THE most exciting occurrence in their little lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Questdriven
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Mon May 12, 2008 9:24 pm

My dogs bark at everybody, but maybe it's just me but they seem to bark more and much fiercer at the UPS/mailman.
Maybe, it's because they never come inside, they just "mysteriously" come and go that concerns my dogs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 am

Ours are the same way.

They never bark at Pizza delivery people though. Go figure. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 am

My GSD barks at anyone that drives in, a happy bark that is soooo loud! Even our own vehicles get that treatment. I have given up with stopping him. Just yesterday, I was on the phone and said the word, "here"
That is his "speak" word, all I have to say is here and he starts barking. Now, if I can teach him a word for Quiet, I am thinking "Shut Up!" LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

My husband works for the USPS, BTW, although he works at the huge mail distributing plant where everything goes to be sorted out and then off to its ultimate destination, whether it is in the Denver area somewhere or in the state or out of state. He works the 2 - midnight shift, although because of his job he usually ends up not getting out of there until 1 or (on heavy mail nights) 2 or even 3 a.m. Talk about a busy job.

The point of this is, I fell asleep last night on the couch because Cruiser really doesn't like the thunder-boomers we get with spring storms ... he's all nervous, tends to pace, shows interest in getting under the furniture but he's way too big to fit. When my honey came quietly in through the front door at 1:30 a.m., just like he always does, the dogs went berserker.

LOL .... "greeting" their very own mail man. :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Dutch

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 pm

The UPS guy and the mail carrier are the best trainers of home guard dogs ever. They totally do this without even realizing it. When a strange person comes to the door (the UPS guy) the dog barks, the person leaves. We all know that the UPS guy left because he was finished dropping off your package. The dog thinks, look at that, I scared that person off all by myself!

Dutch loves our UPS guy because he has cookies, he always has an ear scratch for her, and he delivers her kibble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   Wed May 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Yeah, its all about strangers invading their territory, strange objects etc Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mailman/UPS troubles?   

Back to top Go down

Mailman/UPS troubles?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1